The post of Specialist – Environmental Crime is located in the Environmental Crime Team, EU Organised Crime Unit, European Serious & Organised Crime Centre (ESOCC), Operations Directorate.
The Operations Directorate deals with the core business of Europol, improving the effectiveness and cooperation of the competent authorities in the Member States in preventing and combating serious and organised crime, as well as terrorism affecting the Member States. This requires close cooperation with the Liaison Bureaux at Europol and via them with the Operational Teams in the Member States.
Europol delivers a number of products and services to national law enforcement agencies to support them in their fight against international serious and organised crime, as well as terrorism.
The Operations Directorate hosts five distinct Departments: Operational and Analysis Centre, European Serious Organised Crime Centre, European Cyber Crime Centre, European Counter Terrorism Centre and the European Financial and Economic Crime Centre.
The European Serious Organised Crime Centre (ESOCC) is responsible for ensuring the effective delivery of Europol’s tasks and objectives in supporting Member States’ investigations of serious and organised crime.
As part of ESOCC, the EU Organised Crime Unit is responsible for the operational and analytical support to investigations related to the activities of High Risk Organised Crime Groups (OCGs), organised property crime and environmental crime.
ESOCC also includes the European Migrant Smuggling Centre, which covers facilitation of illegal immigration and trafficking in human beings.
The main tasks of ESOCC are to:
• Provide operational support to prioritized cases and High Value Target (HVT) investigations;
• Coordinate the implementation of the HVT/Operational Task Force (OTF) concept in Europol;
• Support the implementation of EMPACT (European Multidisciplinary Platform Against Criminal Threat) priorities;
• Support the development of the strategic intelligence picture on serious and organised crime
Purpose of the post:
Under the supervision of the Head of Team, the holder of the position will contribute to the operational aspects of cooperation and coordination for the Organised Crime Unit of ESOCC and will be rendering operational support within projects in the field of Environmental Crime.
a. Candidates must
• Be a member of a competent authority within the meaning of the Article 2(a) of the Europol Regulation and enjoy full rights as a citizen of a Member State;
• Have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws on military service;
• Produce appropriate character references as to his or her suitability for the performance of the duties;
• Be physically fit to perform the duties pertaining to the post as further specified in Article 13 of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS);
• Produce evidence of a thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Union and a satisfactory knowledge of another language of the Union to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties.
a. Professional experience
• At least 3 years of experience in conducting or coordinating investigations on organized crime and Environmental crimes;
• Experience in implementation of investigative techniques related to Environmental or serious and organised crime, at national and international level;
• Experience in liaison and international cooperation on operational and strategic matters related to Environmental crimes and serious and organised crime investigations;
• Experience in drafting strategic or operational reports.
b. Professional knowledge
• Knowledge of the criminal environment and law enforcement practices in the area of organized crime and environmental crime;
• Knowledge of EU and international strategic co-operation instruments related to organized crime and environmental crime;
• Knowledge of EU and international legal and policy frameworks with regard to environmental crime;
• Knowledge of the EU and Europol legal framework.
c. General competencies
• Very good communication skills in English, both orally and in writing;
• Ability to draft clear and concise documents on complex matters for various audiences.
Analysing & problem solving:
• Keen eye for detail with the ability to maintain standards of accuracy under pressure of tight deadlines;
• Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills;
• Competent user of Microsoft Office applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook) and the internet.
Delivering quality and results:
• High degree of commitment and flexibility;
• High level of customer and service-orientation.
Prioritising and organising:
• Good administrative and organisational skills.
• Very good interpersonal skills, with the ability to work well, both independently and in a team;
• Ability to remain effective under a heavy workload and demonstrate resistance to stress.
• Ability to work effectively in an international and multi-cultural environment.
The gross basic monthly salary is EUR 5,805.35 (step 1) or EUR 6,049.31 (step 2).
The step in grade is determined on the basis of professional experience gained after the education required for the post and in line with applicable implementing rules.
Staff pay EU tax at source but salaries are exempt from national taxes. Compulsory deductions are made for medical insurance, pension and unemployment insurance.