As a member of the “Marine living resources and ocean governance” Sector within the “Sustainable Blue Economy” Unit, the Project Adviser contributes to the implementation of the European Maritime, Fisheries and Aquaculture Fund (EMFAF) activities delegated by Commission Directorate-General for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries (DG MARE); consisting in a diversified portfolio of projects contributing to EU maritime and fisheries policies, including studies in the field of scientific advice for fisheries, and international ocean governance, including contributions to Regional Fisheries Management Organisations).
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Sector/Head of Unit, the job holder is responsible for implementation of a number of programme management actions including the management of all the stages in the lifetime of projects in collaboration with other services in the Agency and in liaison with the partner Directorate General.
Successful candidates may also be considered for Project Adviser positions for other Programmes managed by CINEA where their specific expertise would be relevant (e.g. LIFE Programme in particular).
Functions and duties :
Programme/project management (1/2):
• Manage Calls for Tenders, directly awarded Grants and specific contracts under the Framework Contracts;
• Prepare the evaluation phase of directly awarded grants, participate in evaluation committees or panels;
• Analyse and present the evaluation results, provide input for future improvements and provide feedback to applicants;
• Conduct the grant agreement preparation with project coordinators and ensure the technical and financial consistency of the projects to be funded, if applicable;
• For Call for Tenders, work on the tender specifications in cooperation with the partner DG and prepare publication. Act as member of the Evaluation Committee and participate in the preparation of contracts as appropriate depending on the nature of the Programme.
Liaise with the central support team for public procurement procedures and Financial Officers in all steps of the procedure;
• For specific contracts, work on the terms of reference in cooperation with the partner DG, perform the evaluation of offers;
• Monitor the implementation of projects (such as studies, grants, etc.), in particular the performance of project coordinators and partners and the fulfilment of contractual obligations by means of periodic reviews and assessment of project reports;
• Act as the principal interlocutor of the beneficiaries or contractors during the implementation of the grant agreement or contract, handling in-coming correspondence, including that with legal or financial contents, in close liaison with financial officers depending on the nature of the Programme;
Programme/ project management (2/2):
• Participate in project meetings and possible monitoring visits to explain relevant EU policies and procedures, to encourage networking and to monitor the technical implementation of the projects, if applicable;
• Assess and approve project reports and control the eligibility of the expenditures, their regularity and their adequacy with the contractual provisions;
• Manage requests for grant/contract amendments in collaboration with financial officers, depending on the nature of the Programme;
• Fulfil the role of Initiating Agent for the operational aspects of financial transactions related to grant/contract management (including approval of reports and deliverables and visa for “certified correct” of operations) whenever applicable;
• Ensure the dissemination and promotion of project results and present the programmes and projects at workshops, seminars, conferences and other public events;
• Write reports/ briefings/provide statistics on project/study results upon request;
• Participate in the organization of conferences, workshops, experts meetings and similar events; facilitate the exchange of experiences and good practices;
• Regularly update the project’s database, feed and manage IT tools related to various actions, including portals and websites if applicable. Contribute to the preparation of communication materials;
Policy feedback/portfolio management:
• Act as focal point for one or more specific thematic areas;
• Analyse clusters of projects within those thematic areas in order to extract lessons learned and policy feedback relevant information;
• Provide advice, support, and feedback within the Agency and to the partner DG and develop links between the Programme’s actions and other programmes/networks to facilitate synergies if applicable.