The Faculty of Biosciences, Fisheries and Economics (BFE), UiT The Arctic University of Norway has a PhD position vacant in fish immunology and pathology – for applicants who wish to obtain the degree of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) The position is attached to The Norwegian College of Fishery Science (NCFS)
The PhD position will be a part of the interdisciplinary VirtualStain project: “Artificial intelligence solutions to virtually stain label-free cell and tissue images for studying cardiovascular diseases of fish and mammals” funded by UiT- The Arctic University of Norway. This interdisciplinary project involves modelling of fundamental processes related to disease development and progression in living cardiovascular tissue and cells through label-free imaging (photo and scanning acoustic microscopy, and label-free nanoscopy). The PhD candidate will avail an interdisciplinary collaboration platform at UiT from different fields such as artificial intelligence, photo-acoustic imaging, cardiovascular biology to study disease development and progression of cardiomyopathy syndrome in salmon through label free imaging. This will provide insight into host-pathogen interaction, causing atrophy in the heart tissue to understand the biological process undergoing changes at the cell and tissue level, for the identification of potential therapeutic targets.
- A good academic environment with dedicated colleagues
- Flexible working hours and a state collective pay agreement
- Pension scheme through the state pension fund
The candidate should have:
- Master degree (or equivalent) in life sciences, preferably in one of the following fields: Immunology; Pathology; Molecular cell biology; Virology; Aquamedicine
- Experience with laboratory techniques such as histology techniques, immunohistochemistry, PCR based techniques, cell culture work, microscopy techniques.
It will be candidate’s advantage to have:
- Knowledge or experience working with fish and the diseases affecting the aquaculture farming industry
- Hands-on experience on basic immunological techniques, molecular and/or cell biology techniques, immuno-pathology, flow cytometry, in-situ hybridization techniques, primary cell culture and in-vitro infection, virus culture.
It is expected that the candidate demonstrates:
- Good written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Self-motivation, creativity, independence, strong ability to work problem oriented and enthusiasm.
- Excellent work ethics and commitment to the job.
- Good communication, writing and presentation skills
- Cover letter explaining your motivation and research interests
- Diplomas, diploma supplements and transcripts (all degrees)
- Documentation on English proficiency.
- Written references
- Contact information to 1-3 references
- Master thesis, and any other academic works
- Project description