The Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO) is one of Europe’s leading research institutions in the cancer research field. Located in state-of-the-art facilities in Madrid, Spain, the CNIO harbours at present more than 500 researchers working in both basic and translational aspects of cancer research, in a highly dynamic, energetic and international environment.
The CNIO is seeking for an experienced specialist in microscopy to manage and lead a Confocal Microscopy Core Unit providing support to CNIO Research Groups, focused on the implementation and application of advanced fluorescence microscopy technologies (e.g., confocal, super-resolution) to cancer research. The Confocal Microscopy Unit is equipped with state-of-the-art microscopy instrumentation, including high-content screening platforms.
The main duties of the Unit Head would be:
- Provide scientific and technical advice to CNIO researchers in projects requiring the use of fluorescence, confocal or super-resolution microscopy technologies, including high-content screening approaches
- Provide support to CNIO researchers in the analysis and quantification of the images generated at the instruments available at the Unit
- Implement or develop new technologies and methodological approaches in the field
- Ensure that the Unit keeps up to date in the technological innovations in the field of confocal microscopy
- Propose and develop research projects aligned with the strategic interests of the CNIO, providing opportunities for the scientific and technical development of the Unit
- Supervise the work of the staff of the Unit, providing them the necessary training and coaching
- Evaluate and optimize all the processes related with the work of the Unit on an ongoing basis, providing troubleshooting and solutions to any issues
- Evaluate the workload of the Unit and the demand of the users, to guarantee that the quality of the service responds to the needs and expectations of the CNIO groups
Applicants should hold a PhD degree in life sciences (biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or similar).
Requisites for the position include:
- Proven research experience in advanced fluorescence microscopy, including a solid knowledge of all the technologies used in the field (particularly in confocal, super-resolution, high content screening)
- Expertise and experience in image analysis and quantification using specific software platforms
- An outstanding publication record in peer-reviewed international journals
- Previous experience in activities involving the support to other researchers requiring expert advice in microscopy
- Creativity and innovative mindset to develop new protocols and methodologies
- Excellent leadership and management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- English fluency
- The CNIO offers the opportunity of being part of a research centre of excellence with an energetic and collaborative working environment and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer research. Salary will be commensurate with the experience of the successful candidate. The position includes an interesting social benefits package.
- The CNIO promotes equal opportunities for men and women, regardless of their nationality, age, race, religion and beliefs, disability and sexual orientation, under criteria of scientific excellence, and it has special policies in place to promote work/life balance.
Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO)
2nd July 2023