The number of unaccompanied migrant children arriving to the EU frontline Member States is notable: in Spain, 13,500 estimated to be present on the territory at the end of 2018, in Italy 8,500, and in Greece 3,700.
The objective of this topic is to fund Projects focusing on the exchange of good practices and/or provision of the necessary training across the Member States so as to support the implementation/expansion/improvement care systems for the migrant children and/or of effective alternatives to the detention of children on grounds related to migration.
The projects financed under this topic should achieve the following outcomes:
- Creation/consolidation/expansion and improvement of foster/family-based/independent living alternative care systems that are better adapted to the needs of children and more apt to promote their sound development. Increased/improved use of family-based care/foster care/supervised independent housing for unaccompanied children.
- Creation/consolidation/expansion and improvement of effective and viable alternatives to the detention of migrant children, especially to prevent absconding.
- Training and preparation of staff/foster carers/family-based carers for performing all tasks related to promoting the well-being of the children. Preparing the carers for being able to identify and cater for the individual needs of each child and to table a tailored response to meet them.
- Exchange of good practices and ‘know how’ across the Member States.
Improved access to of alternative care systems and to effective alternatives to detention for the migrant children, measurable through indicators such as:
- Number of migrant children who will benefit from the projects (Possibly disaggregated by age groups 0-14 and 15-17), and duration (for how long).
- Number of training days that carers benefit from.
- Number of places in alternative care (foster care, family-based care, (semi)-independent living etc.) covered by the project.
- Number of places in alternatives to detention (specifying if new places were created) covered by the project.
- Description of the services provided to unaccompanied minors that were improved as a result of the project.