The University of Western Australia and Minderoo Foundation joined forces in 2021 to establish a world leading deep-ocean research centre, to increase understanding about the deepest parts of the ocean. This collaboration aims to comprehensively explore the deepest areas of the Indian Ocean – mapping the ocean floor, characterising and discovering new species, assessing marine biodiversity and charting deep-sea habitats, with a focus on abyssal plains and hadal subduction trenches. The Minderoo UWA Deep-Sea Research Centre is supported with a major five-year grant from Minderoo Foundation’s Flourishing Oceans initiative.
- Exciting opportunity for a passionate geologist to be part of a multi-disciplinary team, underpinned by state-of-the-art deep-sea technology.
- Fixed term appointment for three years with an immediate start.
- Salary range: Level B $100,374 – $118,776 p.a. plus 17% superannuation.
- An earned PhD and preferably postdoctoral experience demonstrating substantive work on the mapping and interpretation of subsea features using both acoustic and visual methods.
- Knowledge and skills to lead and implement a research program to understand the geological setting of hadal and abyssal features at multiple scales.
- Extensive experience planning and implementing scientific expeditions including post-voyage reporting and effective data archiving.
- Knowledge, skills, and experience operating subsea equipment and operating multibeam echo sounders, with appropriate acquisition, processing and interpretation software.
- Established or emerging reputation for research excellence and academic achievement relative to career stage and opportunity as evidenced by publication history.
- Being a team player with exceptional interpersonal skills able to foster an atmosphere of innovation, creativity, and excellence among others.
- Ability to engage, communicate, build relationships, and negotiate with a diverse group of people, including local and international scientists, ship crew and students.
- Superior written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with interpretation statistics and modelling.
- Preferably have a track-record in a variety of communication and outreach activities including but not restricted to social media and radio, TV and news, public and school presentations.
11 October 2021
Leave a Reply