The Disruptive & Sustainable Technologies for Agricultura Precision (DiSTAP) interdisciplinary research group aims to revolutionize how food is produced to meet the demands of a growing population in an increasingly resource constrained world. While this technology and science facilitates Singapore’s agricultural independence and ensures access to high-quality foods for the future, this technology can also be applied around the world – making Singapore a leader in precision agriculture and urban farming.
DiSTAP is using nanotechnology, microelectronics and biomaterials to create new technologies that can (1) measure, in real-time, the flow of nutrients and hormones within plants; (2) leverage on these knowledge and tools to select and develop plant varieties that are richer in nutrients and can grow in high density; and (3) influence plant metabolism and plant health by precise delivery of bioactive payloads.
This interdisciplinary team comprises engineers, biologists, plant scientists, food scientists, and data analytics experts from multiple MIT academic units, and multiple Singapore-based universities and research centres of excellence.
- Ph.D in biological/biomedical engineering, materials science, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering or a related field is required.
- Applicants with a general background in plants and food science are strongly encouraged to apply. An interdisciplinary research background in biomaterials, micro/nanofabrication, materials characterization, drug delivery and biology is an asset.
- Knowledge and demonstrated skill set in biomaterials, drug delivery, bio/molecular assays and experimental techniques including microscopy (confocal), FTIR/Raman, qPCR/RNAseq, etc.
- Experience with plantal handling and experimentation is desired but not required
- Experience with food is desired but not required.
- Experience with synthetic biology is desired but not required.
- Able to work well and communicate ideas effectively in a multidisciplinary team of researchers with different training backgrounds
- Good track record of publications and scientific output
- Self-motivated, independent, with superior organizational and analytical skills
- Good writing skills
- Able and committed to work in Singapore
Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology Centre
Singapore › Singapore
08 March 2021