In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria’s commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
This position is for a research assistant supporting the research conducted by a SARCHI Chair linked to the Forestry and Agricultural Biotechnology Institute, at the University of Pretoria. The appointment will be for one year but with the potential to be renewed for a total of 5 years.
- Culturing Fungi;
- Isolating DNA from fungi and plants for NGS sequencing;
- Isolating RNA from fungi and plants for RNA sequencing;
- Running DNA sequencer;
- Genoming assembly;
- Genoming annotation;
- Assisting in student research projects.
At least one year of proven experience in:
- Basic microbiology skills in culturing Bacteria and Fungi. Proficiency in making culture media/ sterilisation etc;
- Large fragment DNA isolation from Fungi or plants;
- Bioinformatics skills in DNA genome assembly and annotation OR ability to use CLC genomics or similar genomics platform
- Proficient knowledge of Microbiology, Genetics and Genomics;
- Professional attitude and results driven;
- Sound time management;
- Accuracy and ability to prioritise tasks;
- Problem solving skills.
UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA
South Africa › Tshwane Metro
28 April 2021