In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the Vice-Principal: Research, Innovation and Postgraduate Education vacancy. The University of Pretoria is one of South Africa’s top research-intensive universities dedicated to producing high-quality research that addresses complex issues. It is one of the highest producers of research and makes a major contribution to postgraduate and postdoctoral fellowship training as well as nurturing and supporting researchers at different stages of their research careers.
The University of Pretoria wishes to appoint a Vice-Principal: Research, Innovation and Postgraduate Education who should be a visionary and dynamic leader who will raise the profile of the University’s research-intensive standing, market its research and innovation strengths and expertise, oversee research fundraising and foster strategic research collaborations and partnerships.
- Ensure that the University implements a dynamic research and innovation plan with clear objectives that align with the University’s vision and strategic goals;
- Sustain and strengthen enabling and nurturing research environments in the university;
- Enhance the University’s research, innovation and creative outputs and impact, and transdisciplinary research;
- Oversee technology transfer and commercialisation, and expand industry linkages;
- Facilitate access by the University research community to state-of-the-art, world-class research infrastructure;
- Develop strategies to grow the University revenue to support research and innovation, and oversee research-related fundraising initiatives;
- Oversee the development and revision of research-related policies, research strategy and research quality assurance;
- Working closely with the Vice Chancellor lead the internationalisation and global engagement strategy and initiatives to enhance the University’s international visibility and networks;
- Oversee all committees or other bodies concerned with research, innovation, internationalisation and postgraduate education; and
- Support Deans and Directors in the development of young researchers and retention of talented researchers.
- A doctoral degree;
- A record of at least ten (10) years as an established researcher, with an excellent academic record;
- Five (5) years’ experience in a senior management role in a higher education environment;
- A proven track record of at least five (5) years in research management and development;
- Five (5) years’ experience of implementing research systems and processes in a higher education or research environment;
- Knowledge of research and innovation systems in South Africa and internationally;
- Peer recognition for leading and implementing high-impact research initiatives at a strategic level;
- An understanding and experience of the national and international landscapes for research funding and support;
- Proven managerial capabilities and management experience at a senior or executive level at an institution of higher learning; and
- The candidate should qualify for appointment as a full professor at the University of Pretoria.
- Strong leadership skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Computer and information literacy skills; and
- Proven ability and skills in liaising and managing internal and external stakeholders.
UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA
South Africa › South Africa
22nd April 2022