The research will be carried out with systematic and iterative ‘material synthesis-characterization-analysis’ loops, to obtain insights in novel material system grown by molecular beam epitaxy at University of Copenhagen & Microsoft via use of polarized neutron reflectometry (PNR) at ILL to obtain depth resolved magnetization profiles and X-ray magnetic circular dichroism (XMCD) techniques at ESRF to acquire element specific magnetic moments. This insight will result in fast & tremendous progress towards the zero-field topologically protected quantum bits, required for error-corrected scalable quantum computing.
Salary range: 29k€
Contract duration: 36 months
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed.
The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc.).
- Degree allowing enrolment for a PhD (such as MSc, Master 2 de Recherche, Laurea or equivalent) in Physics, materials science or closely related science
- A background in experimentation is desirable,
- Manual skills and rigorous attention to detail are essential in this work environment
- Proficiency in English (A proof of upper-intermediate level would be advantageous and can be provided in the application. Applicants originating from native-English-speaking countries can apply without the need for proof of level. An official degree conducted in English will be also accepted as a proof; Students without proof upper-intermediate level may still apply and their level of English will be checked during the interview).
- Compliance with the Marie Sklodowska-Curie mobility rule: candidates may not have resided or carried out their main activity (work, studies, etc.) in France for more than twelve months in the three years immediately before the date of recruitment.
- At the date of recruitment, early-stage researchers must be in the first four years of their research careers and have not yet been awarded a doctoral degree.
- Candidates must satisfy eligibility criteria according to the partner university requirements for PhD enrolment.
Institut Laue Langevin – InnovaXN COFUND
31 March 2021