The Department of Cell Biology & Epigenetics invites applications from young talented candidates, who are interested in joining our department as a Ph.D. fellow. Ph.D. fellow will be affiliated with the laboratory of Dr. Hana Polasek-Sedlackova at the Department of Cell Biology and Epigenetics, Institute of Biophysics, Czech Academy of Sciences and Ph.D. program Molecular and Cell Biology and Genetics, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University.
The Institute of Biophysics(IBP) is part of the Czech Academy of Sciences, the largest research institution in the Czech Republic. IBP covers a broad area of nucleic acids research ranging from structural and mechanistic insights into DNA/RNA molecules, their cellular functions, and genome maintenance with direct implications for cancer research and drug development. IBP constitutes an international, ambitious, dynamic, and well-equipped working environment with state-of-the-art facilities for flow cytometry, high-resolution microscopy, high-content imaging, and transgenic mouse work. IBP has a strong focus on the balance between professional life and a family-friendly working environment under the auspices of the HR Excellence in Research Award.
The research program of the Polasek-Sedlackova group bridges basic DNA replication research with cancer research and the developmental biology field. Our goal is to understand how DNA replication is regulated in mammalian cells to achieve high fidelity of copying genomes, critical to alleviating genome instability associated with severe diseases, including cancer. By combining physiologically relevant cellular models with state-of-the-art quantitative cell biology, genomics, and proteomics approaches, we explore the regulation of genome duplication during normal mammalian development and malignant transformation.
As a Ph.D. fellow,you will be engaged in an ambitious and interdisciplinary research project. You will explore the molecular mechanisms ensuring precise and timely regulated initiation of DNA replication¾a very early steps laying the foundation for error-free genome duplication. You will learn and fully master the state-of-the-art approaches of quantitative cell biology including CRISPR-Cas9 mediated genome editing, high-resolution microscopy, and high-content imaging. You will also have an opportunity to develop your own ideas within our research program.
- A four-year Ph.D. position in a stimulating and supportive international research environment.
- Access to state-of-the-art facilities and infrastructure.
- Opportunity to interact with our network of national and international collaborators.
- A competitive salary with health insurance and social security and additional benefits (five weeks of paid vacation, sick days, free childcare directly at the institute, meal allowance, sport and recreation contribution, etc.).
- For international candidates, we offer assistance and support with practical and legal aspects (housing, visa, tax, etc.).
We are looking for a highly motivated and ambitious Ph.D. candidate with:
- A Master’s degree in Life Science e.g. Biochemistry, Biomedicine, Molecular Biology, Protein Science, or similar.
- Basic knowledge and lab experience with molecular and cell biology techniques.
- Strong communication and collaborative skills and an interest to work in an international and interdisciplinary environment.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
Biofyzikální ústav Akademie věd ČR, v. v. i.
15th March 2023