The European Defence Agency was established on 12 July 2004, and is governed by Council Decision (CFSP) 2015/1835 defining the statute, seat and operational rules of the European Defence Agency. The Agency has its headquarters in Brussels.
The main task of EDA is to support the Council and the Member States in their effort to improve the Union’s defence capabilities in the field of crisis management and to sustain the Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP) as it currently stands and as it develops in the future.
The Agency is structured into four directorates. The Corporate Services Directorate (CSD) and three operational directorates: Industry, Synergies and Enablers (ISE); Capability, Armament & Planning (CAP); Research, Technology and Innovation (RTI).
Corporate Services Directorate
The Corporate Services Directorate (CSD) provides critical business support to EDA operations by delivering high-quality corporate services under 5 dedicated units, namely: Human Resources; Procurement and Contract Management; Finance; IT and Information Management together with Security and Infrastructure Management. Additionally, the EDA Legal Team provides legal, data protection and institutional advice and checks to its management relating to the fulfilment of Agency objectives. The EDA Programme Manager and Corporate Projects Officer provides a leadership role in, and a focal point for, good practice in Project, Programme and Risk Management. Finally, the Record Manager is responsible for the effective and appropriate management of information produced and/or received by the organisation.
CSD processes are geared towards efficient and optimal use of resources, leveraging good practice and technological solutions while ensuring sound financial management, transparency and accountability; outward focus and commitment to continuous improvement are the hallmarks of CSD.
Under the supervision of the Head of Unit IT, the jobholder will be responsible for/contribute to the following activities:
- configuring and troubleshooting ICT network and security devices;
- configuring and troubleshooting the encryption systems for classified systems;
- administering network management systems and monitoring tools;
- implementing effective security strategies on cloud networks;
- writing technical documentation and maintaining the network configuration database;
- creating and testing standard operation procedures;
- contributing to procurement procedures related to ICT services;
- cooperating with external and internal partners (including suppliers) to maintain ICT network services;
- operating EDA ICT network services according to agreed service levels, internal policies and procedures;
- contributing to the accreditation of IT Systems when required;
- administering cryptographic products and solutions for classified systems;
- monitoring the events reporting by the network management systems;
- acting as 2nd line support for the network-related services;
- seeking improvements and performing changes to the ICT network infrastructure;
- following innovations related to IT, evaluating new solutions and contributing to their implementation;
- contributing to raise the security awareness level of users;
- providing guidance to users on how to use EU classified system and handle EU classified information (EUCI);
- carrying out any other tasks requested by line management in the interest of the service.
- Duties may evolve according to development of the EDA’s structure and activities, and the decisions of EDA management.
The candidate will be required to demonstrate that he/she has:
- very good understanding of networking technologies and protocols (TCP/IP, IPsec, VPN, 802.1x, AAA, routing, switching, wireless);
- at least 5 years of experience in operating and supporting wide-area IPsec networks;
- hands-on experience in configuring and troubleshooting firewalls, routers and switches;
- hands-on experience in administering wireless networks;
- hands-on experience of IP telephony technologies;
- good knowledge of security and management platforms;
- good knowledge of cloud security management.
All staff must be able to fit into the Agency’s way of working (see para. 2). Other attributes important for this post include:
- capability to organize, coordinate, manage work and responsibilities, deliver expected results, and an ability to cope with work pressure in a dynamic and changing working environment;
- professional and ethical behaviour, strong sense of initiative, responsibility, commitment and customer oriented work ethic;
- service oriented and problem solving approach with a high level of constructive and positive behaviour in trouble shooting process;
- ability to work in multi-cultural environment having well developed interpersonal skills;
- very good communication skills in English, both orally and in writing.
The following will be considered an advantage:
- hands-on experience in configuring and troubleshooting encryption devices;
- mid-level (professional) certification from a firewall manufacturer;
- Cisco Certified Security Professional (CCSP) or equivalent certification;
- ISO27001 certification;
- ITIL Foundation certification.
07 May 2021