Celebrate with us the European Day of Languages, 20 years celebrating cultural and linguistic diversity.
The 47 member states of the Council of Europe encourage more than 800 million Europeans to learn other languages at any age, in and out of school. Convinced that linguistic diversity is a key tool for greater intercultural understanding and a key element in the rich cultural heritage of our continent, the Council of Europe promotes multilingualism throughout Europe.
On the initiative of the Council of Europe in Strasbourg, the European Day of Languages has been celebrated on 26 September every year since 2001.
With more than 595 events in 41 different countries and more than 130,000 participants, the European Day of Languages is a celebration of diversity.
- To highlight the importance of language learning and diversify the variety of languages learned in order to increase multilingualism and intercultural communication.
- Promote the richness of Europe’s linguistic and cultural diversity, which we must preserve and enhance.
- To promote lifelong language learning both in and out of school, whether for the purpose of studies, exchanges, professional needs, mobility or pleasure.
Who can participate?
The European Day of Languages is aimed at Member State authorities and potential partners at the following levels:
- Policy makers (e.g. concrete measures or policy debates related to languages).
- General public (raising awareness of the general objectives of this day, including the importance of lifelong language learning at any age, in educational institutions, at work, etc.);
- In the voluntary sector (specific actions by and/or for NGOs, associations, companies, etc.).
CDE Almería – Activities
Ana Fe Gil Serra, director of the European Documentation Center of Almeria and philologist, introduces the activities organized by the CDE of Almeria motivated by the European Day of Languages and also explains the importance of this day and the reason for its celebration.
Starting with the informative video you have just seen, the CDE of Almeria begins its cycle of activities related to and motivated by the European Day of Languages.
Today, Wednesday, September 22, 2021, begins the activity of informative dissemination of myths or realities related to language and linguistic diversity in Europe in our social networks to learn in an innovative and dynamic way. This cycle will conclude on the following Wednesday, September 29, 2021.
As a main activity, we will hold a sweepstakes through our social networks consisting of the following: with a simple Google form, you will be able to access a series of questions not only related to the linguistic diversity of Europe, but also to cultural topics such as traditional dances, flagship cultural elements of different parts of Europe, and their typical dishes. The first five people who get the highest number of questions right will be awarded with merchandising that we will announce on our Instagram account on the same Friday, September 24, 2021, when participation in the contest opens.
To participate, it will be necessary to follow CDE Almeria in their social networks (Twitter and/or Instagram), reside in Spain, fill out the form as soon as possible with the highest percentage of correct answers as possible, and include email and Twitter and/or Instagram accounts when filling out the form. Come on and participate!
Contest start: September 24, 2021 at 10:00 a.m.
Last day to participate: October 1, 2021 at 23:59 p.m.
More information and related bibliography: