With world attention on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. By focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches, we tackle urgent threats with practical solutions.
- Working with Office of the Chief Economist staff, EDF International Methane staff and collaborators to identify long-term global oil and gas market research and analysis needed to inform and support the organization’s international methane advocacy;
- Overseeing analyses and research projects conducted by other organizations for EDF (e.g., universities and outside contractors);
- Interpreting, translating, and summarizing relevant global oil and gas market developments for EDF, partners and broader audiences (potentially including public communications, congressional testimony, Op-Eds, articles, and blog posts);
- Conducting original economic research on oil and gas markets and related topics relevant to EDF;
- Working with EDF’s development team, including communicating with donors and foundations and writing proposals to secure funding;
- Participating in the development of public positions taken by Environmental Defense Fund;
- Establishing, developing, and supporting connections between EDF and the academic and research community, public and other organizations in the field;
- Representing EDF at public meetings including policy makers, academic conferences and workshops, gatherings of advocacy organizations, and the general public.
- Mentoring junior EDF analytical staff;
- Participates in advancing EDF DEI goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in Economics or closely related discipline (e.g., Energy or Resource Economics or Public Policy);
- Deep knowledge of the global oil and gas sector, including global gas market dynamics and its major regional markets (particular focus on Canada, China, European Union, US, Russia, Japan, Korea);
- Solid understanding of gas market regulation in at least one of the above regional markets of interest and ability to quickly learn about regulations and regulatory approaches in the others;
- Familiarity with the empirical and theoretical literature on regulatory economics, in particular with applications to gas markets.
Environmental Defense Fund
“We are one of the world’s largest environmental organizations, with more than two million members and a staff of approximately 700 scientists, economists, policy experts, and other professionals around the world. We operate in 22 geographies with unique projects running across four programs. You will be part of a vibrant workplace where innovation and results are a way of life.”
11 November 2021