A PhD candidate for a project which provides a great opportunity to gain expertise in both experimental and computational neuroscience.
They will establish a mathematical model for RL behaviour in mice, identify neural correlates for value-related parameters in the model using in vivo high-density electrophysiology, manipulate the neural correlates, and measure corresponding changes in RL-guided behaviour. The overall aim of the project is to investigate the neural mechanism by which value signals guide decision making. This will inform state-of-the-art deep learning approaches and shed light on novel interventions for psychiatric diseases.
- Employment: 0.8 FTE (5 year contract) – 1.0 FTE (4 year contract).
- The gross starting salary amounts to €2,395 per month based on a 38-hour working week, and will increase to €3,061 from the fourth year onwards.
- In addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- Duration of the contract: you will be appointed for an initial period of 18 months, after which your performance will be evaluated. If the evaluation is positive, the contract will be extended by 2.5 years (4 year contract) or 3.5 years (5 year contract).
- Your education task may be up to 10% of your appointment.
- The intended start date is 1 April 2021.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Have a look at our excellent employment conditions. They include a good work-life balance (among other things because of the excellent leave arrangements), opportunities for development and a great pension scheme.
- A dedicated, reliable, detail-oriented, and well-organised team player.
- Experience in animal behaviour preferred.
- Experience in electrophysiology preferred.
- Experience with MATLAB or Python preferred.
- Good communication and writing skills in English.
Netherlands › Nijmegen
13 February 2021