The Google News Initiative Fellowship offers paid summer placements to journalism, technology or design students. In 2021 the European Journalism Centre offers 30 fellowship placements in 14 European countries.
The successful candidates will kick off their careers in the news industry by spending their summer working with experts in newsrooms and creating a professional network.
- must be 18 years or older;
- coming from the following participating countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, United Kingdom;
- must be enrolled in or accepted for an accredited higher education institution (undergraduate, master, PhD) or have graduated in 2019/2020 in the same country as their newsroom of choice; or to be from the country where the newsroom is based;
- recent graduates who finished their studies in 2021 are also eligible to apply
- students enrolled in Austria, Germany or Switzerland can apply for any of the organisations based in these three countries;
- international students enrolled in a higher education institution based in the country of the newsroom they choose are eligible as well.
How to apply
- submit the application and newsroom selection here;
- application can be submitted in English or in the language of the news organisation the applicants are applying for;
- applicants may only apply to one organisation.
Selected applicants will of the team in their chosen newsroom for 8 weeks between July and October 2021.
They will receive hands-on workshops on data-journalism, fact-checking, business development and audience engagement during a unique virtual bootcamp to develop and learn new skills.
All the fellows will be remunerated for their work and supported to cover their expenses.
The exact amount will be at the discretion of each news organisation and will be up to €5,000.
Deadline: 25 April 2021, 23:59 CEST.
Read more: https://journalismfellowships.eu.