The Joint Research Centre (JRC) is a Directorate-General of the European Commission, providing independent science and technology advice to European policymakers.
The JRC offers internships to young trainees who wish to acquire scientific work experience and to put into practice the scientific knowledge they have obtained during their studies or professional careers.
The scientific activities of the JRC are divided between the following sites: Brussels, Ispra, Geel, Petten, Karlsruhe and Seville.
Types of training
- Training related to the preparation of a thesis for a university degree
This is for individuals who are receiving university education or its equivalent and are preparing a thesis for a university degree or Master’s degree or PhD or its equivalent at graduate level. The purpose of the training must be directly related to the subject of the thesis.
- Training after university education (or its equivalent)
This type of training is for individuals who wish to gain work experience following the award of a university degree, Master’s degree, or PhD.
- Trainees are selected from nationals of the Member States of the European Union or of candidate countries benefiting from a pre-accession strategy and of other countries contributing financially to the Framework Programme. However, a limited number of nationals of non- Member States may also be accepted.
- Trainees are required to have an excellent knowledge of at least two official languages of the EU, of which one is also a working language of the Commission (English, French or German).
- Non-EU nationals must have a very good knowledge of at least one of the working languages.
Trainees can benefit from a monthly allowance. Those whose place of recruitment is less than 50km from the JRC site will receive half of this allowance.
The monthly allowance is equivalent to 25% of the basic remuneration for an official at grade AD5/1 adjusted by the correction coefficient applicable to the JRC site where the traineeship takes place.
The maximum duration is 5 months, the minimum is 3 months.
Contracts begin on either the 1st or the 16 th day of the month.
Internships are published on the JRC’s online web application system (ESRA), on which candidates can apply directly.
22 November 2022