The Institute for Medieval Research (IMAFO) of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW), Austria’s leading non-university research and science institution, is offering a Postdoc Position for a duration of 36 months at the Department for Byzantine Research within the FWF-Project “Entangled Charters of Anatolia (1200-1300). Diplomacy, administration and world ordering during crisis in the transcultural mirror of governmental writing”.
- Survey of relevant sources for the Seljuk Sultanate in 13th century Anatolia in Persian and Arabic language
- Contribution to the digital research environment (database) of the ENCHANT-project
- Analysis of charters of the Seljuk rulers in comparison with the documents of neighbouring polities (in Armenian, Greek, Latin and other languages).
- Presentation of aims and results of the project in workshops and international conferences.
- Contribution to the joint publications of the project team.
- Completed studies with PhD in Iranian/Oriental studies
- Several years of experience in the field of study and edition of original documents in Persian language
- Expertise in Persian palaeography and diplomatics
- Knowledge of Arabic and medieval Arabic sources
- Very good English (level B2 or higher) and basic German skills (level B1 or higher)
- Interest in comparative historical studies and digital humanities
- Soft skills (flexibility, communication skills, creativity, capacity for teamwork)
- Employment in one of the leading institutions in Byzantine and medieval Eastern Mediterranean Studies, in cooperation with other institutes of the OeAW such as the Institute for Iranian Studies
- Work in a comparative and methodologically advanced project framework
- Numerous voluntary social benefits
- Flex time arrangement
- Central downtown location in Vienna
- Possibility to work independently
The annual gross salary for this position is € 28.430,50, according to the salary scheme of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF).
Austrian Academy of Sciences, The Institute for Medieval Research (IMAFO)
16th January 2023