Projects’ results are expected to contribute to some or all of the following outcomes:
- Support deep tech innovation as a basis for a modern, knowledge-driven, resource-efficient and competitive economy;
- Promote female leadership in the deep tech industry to build fairer, more inclusive, and more prosperous innovation ecosystems in Europe.
Women TechEU supports early-stage deep tech European start-ups. The initiative complements the activities funded under the European Innovation Council (EIC), paving the way for the participation of their start-ups in future EIC calls.
Women TechEU targets highly innovative start-ups founded, or co-founded by women, holding a top management position (CEO, CTO or equivalent) in the company at the time of submission. The company must be registered and established in an EU Member State or a Horizon Europe Associated Country for at least six months at the time of the submission.
All deep tech domains are eligible, with the emphasis being on overall gender balance and the position held by women in the start-up.
Support provided to Women TechEU beneficiaries under this initiative is made up of the following components:
- financial support to the company as an individual grant of EUR 75 000 supporting activities such as upgrading the business model, updating the business plan and growth strategy, finding partners and investors, market validation, etc.;
- mentoring and coaching provided by the EIC Business Acceleration Services (BAS), under the new ‘Women Leadership Programme’, which includes dedicated networking and pitching events;
- the possibility to participate in dedicated activities organised by InvestEU and the Enterprise Europe Network (EEN).
At the end of the funded project, and after completing the Women Leadership Programme, beneficiaries will submit an evaluation report. Women TechEU beneficiaries will become part of a community of peers, and given opportunities to expand their network and showcase their business at pitching and networking events, to give visibility to their work and attract further funding.
The topic will be supported with a budget transfer of EUR 2 million from the European Innovation Council Work Programme 2021 (EIC WP 2021).
Deep tech is technology that is based on cutting-edge scientific advances and discoveries and is characterised by the need to stay at the technological forefront by constant interaction with new ideas and results from the lab. Deep tech is distinct from ‘high tech’ which tends to refer only to Research & Development intensity.
10 November 2021