As part of the ERC-funded project DOPAMICS, we are seeking a forest research technician without doctorate to provide a field technical support in rainforest areas of French Guiana.
The successful candidate will play a central role before, during and following field missions: he or she will be responsible of organising and leading the field missions under the supervision of the project coordinator and an expert botanist, and he or she will actively assist the different team members during field missions and in the lab.
- Leading of field missions and of their logistic organisation
- Field equipment ordering, inventory and maintenance
- Participation in life base installation
- Assistance in setting up the inventory plots
- Participation in palm inventories and botanical identification
- Participation in soil surveys and sampling operations
- Conditioning and shipment of samples for lab analyses
- Participation in the dissemination of knowledge and discoveries to the society and/or scholars in French Guiana
We offer an outstanding opportunity to engage in an interdisciplinary research environment and to acquire diversified skills at the frontier between human (archaeology) and environmental sciences (botany and plant biology), and to acquire a solid field experience in the Amazonian region.
The designated salary for the position is based on the IRD salary scale for contract staff given previous experience, plus a 40% supplementary flat-rate allowance for assignment in French Guiana.
- A background experience of fieldwork in forest environment
- A good physical condition
- A knowledge of safety rules in the field
- Basic computer skills (MS office : Excel, word)
- Good organisational and coping skills
- Good communication and teamwork skills
- Seriousness, autonomy
- Calm, patience
- Willingness to work outdoors in the Amazonian rainforest
Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (IRD)
French Guiana › Cayenne
31st May 2022